Tuesday 28 September 2010

altered cigar box



This is an old cigar box my husband brought in from the garage and asked if I wanted, have to say I had already scrubbed it before I took the "before" photo as it had been full of oily old nuts and bolts from his tractor. I have spent a lovely afternoon altering it, first painted in with red acrylic paint, then rubbed on some black acrylic paint with a babywipe. Added some smears of texture paste and some crackling stuff -croco transparent, then I daubed some gold paint on just with my fingers, heated the whole lot with a heat gun so it bubbled and cracked. The centre panel is made with base of a tinfoil dish that had contained Asda fresh tastes chicken and leek, well scrubbed of course,embossed in the cuttlebug with an embossing folder which I can't remember who's make it is,then coloured with alcohol inks,toned down a bit with rub on gold and black. Hinges are grungepaper coloured with alcohol inks and also done with the rub on stuff. the corners and centre bit are actually paper and from a 99p embellishment pack at The Works, also alcohol inked and rub and buffed (just remember that is what the rub on stuff is called )managed to make holes through the wood for the brads with my ancient "prodder" thing . It is very textural which doesn't really show up very well, I did try to take a close up of it to show that but the gold paint and metal just reflect the light. Its too gloomy and miserable outside even in the afternoon to even attempt to take photos outside today.  My sister in California called me last night and said they had temperature of 111degrees at the weekend ! that is just too hot for comfort but I wish we could get a bit of sunshine to cheer things up here. It has not photographed very well but I am quite pleased with how it turned out. Nearly forgot to say this is for the Stampman challenge which is "altered". Just seen that Lots to Do challenge is also for altered so am putting it on there too.

12 comments:

  1. WOW Joan this is awesome, love all the treatements you have given this box that you have turned into a real treasure. Thank you for sharing this with us at LTD xx Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joan , Just switched on and saw you Fabulous cigar box. It must have taken for ever!!! but... the texture and finishes are wonderful Hoping to alter for the Stampman too when I find a way to link! You know me everything takes me for ever to learn!! Thanks for sharing this Joan.
    Love Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its fabulous Joan, it is an amazing, rich looking box.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Joan this is fantastic love all the texture you've added too it

    Thanks for sharing with the Lotstodo Challenge x Hilda

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a lovely transformation, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a transformation Joan, its totally gorgeous and I bet you love it.... all the brilliant techniques you have used. I love the way you have used a foil carton and cuttlebugged it; now that is terrific recycling. Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful textural work and gorgeous colour. I love the cigar box its a fabulous find
    hugs June xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job Joan, this is really gorgeous,I am very impressed..only 95 degrees the last couple of days, so it is cooling down here is So.Cal.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this , your tired cigar box now looks very swish , what a great makeover

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fantastic job you've done. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow Joan this is brilliant ita a fab makeover
    xx Thanks for shareing with us at LTD this week xx Alison

    ReplyDelete
  12. ooh joan i wish my OH had gems like that in his garage! what a fab project to work on! Excellent!

    Thank You for playing The Stampman altered challenge x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to make a comment, I read and appreciate every one. Please be aware that those leaving a comment on any post on this blog do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and by providing the comment they have published their own personal details on this blog and also consented to use of that personal information for that specific purpose.